In the “Period of Purple Crying,” purple is an acronym intended to remind parents what their child is going through during the first few months of life, when crying can seem incessant.
• P – Peak: The crying pattern increases from birth, peaking in the second month of life and gradually diminishing thereafter.
• U – Unexpected: The crying occurs unexpectedly, for no apparent reason.
• R – Resists soothing: The crying may not stop no matter what is done to calm the baby.
• P – Painless: Despite the baby’s look of extreme anguish, it is not in any actual pain.
• L – Long-lasting: The crying episode can last for hours.
• E – Evening: Most of these crying fits occur in late afternoon or early evening.